This first launch was a lightweight payload of around 520 grams, containing:
- Canon digital camera, with custom firmware to provide time-lapse photography;
- GPS and altimeter that transmitted the balloon’s location and altitude using the amateur radio Automatic Packet Reporting System (APRS);
- Radio beacon to assist with directional location by the recovery crews; and
- Mobile phone, to provide additional location information and pictures.
- Future launches will include additional high-resolution cameras, and more advanced tracking and release mechanisms
Behind the Scenes
For a more detailed look at how the rig is setup, how recovery worked, etc - check out this video.
Flight 1: Behind the Scenes (12:49, 86MB)